Over the past two weeks, Emily and I had a bit of a challenge. She didn’t want to put on her snow pants and jacket by herself during our outdoor time. Even though I knew she could do it, being in pre-kindergarten, she felt a bit unsure.

One day, when she asked for help, I decided to try something different. Instead of helping right away, I asked the other pre-kids to show us how they put on their stuff. I told Emily and her friends that they were all very capable. I avoided looking directly at Emily to make it more casual.

Most of the pre-kindergarten kids came forward and demonstrated how they could do it on their own. Emily watched and seemed to get inspired. She decided to give it a shot, putting on her snow pants and jacket. She only asked me to zip up her jacket, and with excitement, I said, “Wow, Emily, you did it!

I understand that directly telling her, “No, you can do it by yourself,” might overwhelm her. Instead, showing her that I’m here to support her and ready to help will give her a better sense of comfort.

Educators work in relationship with children , and strive to ensure children feel safe , confident, motivate, and listened to . BC ELF page 18

As an educator, I recognize that each child requires individualized care, and I strive to understand their unique needs by implementing various approaches.